SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED THE FOURTH EXTERNAL EVALUATION OF UKIM
Considering the commitment for continuous evaluation, assessment, provision and improvement of quality in all areas of its operation, the Ss. Cyril and Methodius University in Skopje has successfully completed the fourth external evaluation, carried out by an experts team nominated by the European University Association in Brussels, composed of: Prof. Dr. Gülsün Sağlamer from Istanbul, Turkey, chair, Dr. Raymond Smith from London, England, team coordinator, Prof. Dr. Ivan Leban from Ljubljana, Slovenia, Prof. Dr. Ingegerd Palmer from Maraldalen, Sweden and Erazem Bohinc, student from Nova Gorica, Slovenia.
In accordance with the established procedure of the European Institutional Evaluation Program, recently a Self-Evaluation Report for the University has been prepared. The external evaluation was conducted in two phases, i.e. two visits of the University by the experts’ team.
After the completion of the second stage of the visit, on March 4th this year, the experts’ team presented the Report on the fourth external evaluation of the Ss. Cyril and Methodius University in Skopje in front of the academic community, once again highlighting the leading role and the quality of UKIM within European frames.
In the report on the external evaluation the following main valuations are presented:
The report also, contains recommendations for further activities at UKIM, the following being some of the stated:
- In particular, the experts’ team welcomes the commitment of the first state, the largest and the highest rated university - Ss. Cyril and Methodius University in Skopje, for implementation a continuous external evaluation, fourth in a row since 2003, as an important contribution to the development of the culture of quality.
- The team unanimously states that since the first external evaluation of the University in 2003, along with the changes in the national legislation, the integration processes at UKIM have been successfully realized and to continue to strengthen. The team also welcomes the motivation and the commitment of the management in the implementation of the reforms necessary for providing functional integration.
- The experts’ team welcomes the positive assessment of the students for the activities undertaken by the University, their involvement and participation in the development processes and decision-making at the University.
- The experts’ team specifically highlights the students’ excellent English language skills at UKIM.
- The experts’ team assesses the organization of doctoral studies in the Doctoral School at UKIM as contemporary European model and states that it is an important prerequisite for the development of research activities, as well as for employment of new academic staff at the University.
- In terms of the strategy for internationalization of UKIM, the experts’ team welcomes the action plan, in particular the efforts, the visiting professors to be part of the educational and teaching process, the expansion of the mobility of academic staff and students, as well as the introduction of study programs in English.
In conclusion, the team would like to thank all the participants in the realization of the programs of the two visits at the University. The team also, welcomes the achievements of the University in recent years, as well as the engagement of all the contributors involved in the processes of change.
- Further efforts in front of the competent authorities, for instance the Ministry of Education and Science for support and investments in the development processes of the University, with emphasis on: renewal of the staff potential, continuing the implementation of the Bologna principles, developing research activities.
- Looking for sources and opportunities for greater involvement of students, especially students enrolled in doctoral studies in research projects at the University.
- Continuation of the process of developing cooperation, organization of joint study programs among the UKIM units and using the available resources of UKIM, as well as developing joint international study programs.
- Further increase of the number of study programs in English and organizing more courses for acquisition of the Macedonian language, in order to encourage the recruitment of foreign students.
- Looking for more opportunities and resources from the state and from the foreign business community, as well as involvement in programs in order to increase student mobility.
- Increasing further the collaboration between external stakeholders and UKIM by sharing good practice amongst faculties, further development of career centers and enhancing the participation of the business community in creating the study programs.
- Further developing and strengthening the integrative functions and defending the University’s autonomy.
The team encourages the University to further develop the advanced ideas and attitudes, to continue offering innovative solutions in the changing environment and, within the further development of the culture of quality, to continue striving towards constant improvement of the quality of its overall activities. The communication with the external environment needs to emphasize the contribution of the University for Macedonia and the wider regional community.